Abdelkader Student PrizeFor students, grades 6-12
This is your chance...
to learn about Emir Abdelkader, an Islamic scholar from Algeria who resisted French colonialism in the mid-19th century. The Emir’s commitment to human rights won him global admiration from the likes of President James Buchanan, Queen Victoria, Pope Pius IX, Tsar Alexander II, and the presidents of France, Greece, and Turkey. The Abdelkader Education Project (AEP) is offering four middle school prizes and four high school prizes, all at $300 each.
Deadline: February 1, 2022
Submit Entries To: firstname.lastname@example.org
Middle School Entry Guidelines
Essay Option: How did Abdelkader’s upbringing prepare him to meet the challenges in his life? What virtues and values did he communicate through his actions that might help you meet your own challenges? (300 word minimum)
- Resource: The Compassionate Warrior: Abdelkader of Algeria by Elsa Martson (Want a free copy of the book? Let us know!)
Art Option: Create a graphic story (comic) based on one vignette from the Abdelkader Stage Project (Middle School Version).
High School Entry Guidelines
Essay Option: What were the formative influences on Abdelkader? What qualities did he communicate through his actions? Choose a challenge from current events for which Abdelkader’s behavior might be a guide. (500 word minimum)
- Resources: Commander of the Faithful by John Kiser or The Compassionate Warrior: Abd el-Kader of Algeria by Elsa Marston. (Want a free copy of one of the books? Let us know!)
Art Option: Create a graphic story (comic) based on one vignette from the Abdelkader Stage Project. (You may use either version of the Abdelkader Stage Project.)
AEP will award eight $300 prizes, four to middle school students and four to high school students.
Essays will be judged on the following:
- Does the writer demonstrate a deep and personal understanding of Abdelkader’s character and place in history?
- Does the writer address all parts of the prompt?
- Is the essay well-organized?
- Has the writer followed conventions of spelling, capitalization, and punctuation?
Art entries will be judged on the following:
- Does the artist accurately portray the selected vignette(s)?
- Does the comic demonstrate an exemplary use of the selected media to create an intentional outcome?
- Does the artist utilize the space within each frame in interesting and effective ways?
- Is the text within the compic perfect, or nearly so, in terms of spelling, captialization, and punctuation?
We will send you a free copy of The Compassionate Warrior: Abd el-Kader of Algeria by Elsa Marston and/or Commander of the Faithful by John Kiser. Request your copy here.
Questions: Contact Sue Protheroe at email@example.com
Submit entries in PDF form to: firstname.lastname@example.org