Abdelkader Stage Project
Why teach the life and times of Emir Abdelkader?
- Uncovers little-known facts about America’s heartland
- Adds historical lens of the conquered, highlighting story of resistance
- Challenges stereotypes
- Broadens notions of American cultural, ethnic, and religious identities
- Offers international perspective beyond eurocentric history
- Counters extermisms
- Provides role model of ethical leadership
- Encourages critical thinking and social/emotional learning
Khan, Daisy. Wiseup: Knowledge Ends Extremism. Women’s Islamic Initiative in Spirituality & Equality, 2018.
Kiser, John W. Commander of the Faithful: the Life and Times of Emir Abd El Kader. Monkfish Book Pub., 2008.
Marston, Elsa. Compassionate Warrior – Abd El-Kader of Algeria. World Wisdom Books, 2013.
Other Selected Readings
Bouyerdene, Ahmed. Emir Abdelkader: Hero and Saint of Islam. World Wisdom, 2012.
Churchill, Charles-Henry. The Life of Abd el Kader, ex Sultan of the Arabs of Algeria. Chapman Hall, 1867.
Danziger, Raphael. Abd al-Qadir and the Algerians. Holmes and Meier, 1977.
DeTocqueville, Alexis. Writings on Empire and Slavery (translated by Jennifer Pitts) Johns Hopkins University Press, 2001.
Kiser, John W. The Monks of Tibhirine: Faith, Love and Terror in Algeria. St. Martins Press, 2003
Kiser, John W. Lessons From An Arab Warrior
Hourani, Albert. Islam in European Thought. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1991.
Johnston, Douglas, Religion Terror and Error: American Foreign Policy and the Challenge of Spiritual Engagement. Santa Barbara: Praeger, 2011.
Nasr, Hossein. Man and Nature, The Spiritual Crisis of Modern Man. Chicago: ABC International Group Inc, 1997.