Guides & Curricula
Islamic Networks Group
Five lesson plans with digital presentations, discussion and test questions, with links to educational resources.
Harvard Pluralism Project
Case Study Program
A lively historical narrative of Muslims in Iowa, entitled “Portrait of Cedar Rapids and America’s Mother Mosque.” This is paired with three case studies. The first is on Abdelkader plus two contemporary stories that serve as companion pieces.
Library of Congress (LOC)
Abdelkader-related Primary Sources
“Making Connections” in the spirit of Abdelkader
- 3-minute video clips from the award-winning “Secret Life of Muslims” series by Seftel Productions;
- Four biographical sketches adapted from One Islam, Many Muslim Worlds by Raymond William Baker (Oxford, 2015)
- WISEUP! Daisy Khan
- I Am Your Protector
AP World History
By Jennifer Sayed
- Student-Facing Lesson One: Warm Up
- Student-Facing Lesson One: Activity
- Student-Facing Lesson One: Group Activity
- Student-Facing Lesson One: Assessment
- Student-Facing Lesson Two: Warm-up
- Student-Facing Lesson Two: Activity
- Student-Facing Lesson Two: Assessment
Kiser, John W. Commander of the Faithful: The Life and Times of Emir Abdelkader (1808-1883), A Story of True Jihad, Monkfish Book Publishing Co., 2008
Elsa Marston adopted Kiser’s book for middle and high school students, entitled The Compassionate Warrior: Abdelkader of Algeria published by Wisdom Tales, 2013.
Khan, Daisy WISEUP, Knowledge Ends Extremism
Other Selected Readings
Bouyerdene, Ahmed. Emir Abdelkader: Hero and Saint of Islam. World Wisdom, 2012.
Churchill, Charles-Henry. The Life of Abd el Kader, ex Sultan of the Arabs of Algeria. Chapman Hall, 1867.
Danziger, Raphael. Abd al-Qadir and the Algerians. Holmes and Meier, 1977.
DeTocqueville, Alexis. Writings on Empire and Slavery (translated by Jennifer Pitts) Johns Hopkins University Press, 2001.
Kiser, John W. The Monks of Tibhirine: Faith, Love and Terror in Algeria. St. Martins Press, 2003
Kiser, John W. Lessons From An Arab Warrior
Hourani, Albert. Islam in European Thought. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1991.
Johnston, Douglas, Religion Terror and Error: American Foreign Policy and the Challenge of Spiritual Engagement. Santa Barbara: Praeger, 2011.
Nasr, Hossein. Man and Nature, The Spiritual Crisis of Modern Man. Chicago: ABC International Group Inc, 1997.